Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: And your daytime job?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BennyAndTheSkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2002
    Posts
    311
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Electrical Engineer with IBM.
    I guess you could say I chickened out of being a full time guy, when I saw Ted Reinhardt, the drummer for a local Buffalo Fusion band, Gamalon, setting up his own drums out of an old, rusted Cadillac. Ted told me he had platinum records on his wall, from playing on Spyro Gyra's Morning Dance album, which sold 10M copies.

    I certainly respect those who devote their lives to music, since sometimes I feel like a square peg in a round hole doing this technical shit, when everything feels so natural and right when I pick up a pair of sticks and sit behind the kit.

    Who knows, maybe I'll retire early, and do music full time?

  2. #2
    PencilZ
    Guest PencilZ's Avatar

    Post

    I'm a whore, most of my time is spent walkin the streets. If i'm not walkin then i'm either havin my shoes reheeled, shoppin for short tight clothin or being beaten by my pimp for stashin cash from him.
    Apart from that regular check ups at the urinary clinic just for the sake of my health.
    (Some nights you just dont know where they've been before) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 02, 2003 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Me2 ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Plaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2003
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm just a peon at hotels.com here in Dallas, Tx. It pays the bills, but it could always be better. I'm just waiting for our stock to go through the roof so I can get some new drums! [img]wink.gif[/img] As with Derek's company, mine is very cool about gigs and music related stuff.

    I'm very lucky in that I get to practice drums in my bedroom at our townhouse. We're only attached on one side, and there are currently no neighbors in that place, so I can play whenever!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member PhilCarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Im finding your replies most inspiring. So some of you are human after all!!!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm IT Director for a large advertising agency. I've been in advertising for 14 years and, like Disney, is very flexible. Outside of work, I spend my time being a family man, and then music. I have a home studio so I can practice/play whenever I want, which in reality is about 3 hours a week. I wish it was 3 hours a day. I'm sure if I REALLY wanted to, I could make the time.

    Danny

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm just a drummer... sorry kinda boring.,:-)
    There are days that I wish I had the security of a day gig like some of you have such as Derek! My wife works also.
    I just started a new gig actually, working with an old friend whom was in Ace Frehley's Comet band. we are starting a rock project and are doing an acoustic performance next Friday in San Diego, a benefit for the Veterans of war. We are also doing a more pop rock side gig behind a disc he did last year, not as edgy as his previous stuff.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member brandrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2002
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    porn stunt double....other than that just sponging off the wife right now(bad for the self esteem but good for the chops [img]wink.gif[/img] . the job market in my area is horrible!!...you hiring? [img]redface.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I work for Identech, basically we install stuff related to SECURITY , camera's , fingerprint identification systems for Door-Access, Time-Attendance and Employee Management, and besides the hardware itself, testing the Ethernet Cables, installing the software itself and hooking up everything [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member sidereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2003
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gamalon... there's a CD out of my past. I think I still have it around. I liked that slow song dedicated to Robert Plant (!). Some really tasty cymbal work on that.

    I'm still trying to live the dream. I gig semi-professionally and also write freelance for magazines and a software company here and there. Starting this fall I go back to school to get an MA in audio/video production. Maybe then I'll get a real job so I can support a family and all that.

    At some point I have to realize that I'm probably not *uniquely qualified* enough to play the drums and that the dream will have to be set aside so reality can take over. Then maybe gigs will all be purely for the fun of it. Until then, I work hard trying to keep my chops in shape and chasing down interesting looking gigs.

    I'm 34. I'm still in the denial stage. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member numeroUnoHODfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    406
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    US Navy, Baby!!! As a Gas Turbine Systems (Mechanical) Engineer... in layman's terms, a jet-engine mechanic.

    And I thought I was the only one that got a promo copy of that Gamalon disc.

    There was one track that stood out, cuz it was ripped straight from Rush's La Villa Strangiato... If I can dig the disc up, I'll mp3 it for ya'll interesteded fokes.

    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 02, 2003 08:56 PM: Message edited by: numeroUnoHODfan ]</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •